We believe in the anti-aging benefits of a great sunblock. We don't believe it belongs in your active anti-aging skin care products.
- An SPF, whether chemical or mineral, competes with all the beneficial ingredients for absorption (meaning: that expensive peptide won't be getting through and into the skin to erase lines and wrinkles).
- Many skin care creams or serums contain an SPF of around 15 or so, but because we all apply our creams in various amounts, the actual protection being offered may in fact be negligible. (Since UV damage is the #1 cause of premature aging by destroying our beneficial collagen, its super important to have at least an SPF of 30.)
- Generally the higher the SPF the more effective it is at reducing absorption of other ingredients into the skin
- Some chemical SPF ingredients may cause sensitivity or breakouts.
What to do...
To ensure you are getting the most out of both your SPF product and your anti aging routine, we always recommend a separate SPF product, preferably mineral based, with a UVA/UVB rating of 30+ (and don't forget to reapply throughout the day, especially if you are outside or near a window).
By following the steps below, you'll ensure your active ingredients get into the skin to create a healthy gorgeous glow, while defending against premature aging caused from UV damage.
- Always apply your active serum first
- Then moisturizing creams
- Finish with your SPF product
- And finally...makeup and all the rest.